PAGE LIST

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Unique Norman Rockwell style Gift to retiring "captain".

Recently I got a very interesting commission from GA. A community employees wanted to say thank you to their retiring leader with a unique present.

Was it possible to change one of their favorite Norman Rockwell poster  and include their diverse colleagues?

The deadline was close so after a long telephone conversation I immediately started to work. I had to restore some parts and repaint others. Based on an old and small resolution photo of a print,  it took for a while. I also isolated the children in the foreground as they would be representing the employees proportions and positions needed to be adjusted.
 I got some references for the employees' faces from my client. Small accessories like logo and headphones needed to be incorporated into the final poster. We got a back and forth conversation and several reviews during the following week.
We hesitated for a while if Mr Schultz should be depicted with or without the helmet (a big C replaced captain America's wing) and eventually the majority of the office voted for keeping the helmet on.
I ended up repainting every bit of the poster and as a last touch applying some "distressed" textures over it to ensure the vintage look.


Final version of the Norman Rockwell art based poster.
BTW, I usually ask new clients how they found me and in this case was surprised to learn that they saw a piece titled Homage to Norman Rockwell, (see below) from me on Dribbble.








No comments:

Post a Comment